Flash Forward is a show about possible (and not so possible) future scenarios. What would the warranty on a sex robot look like? How would diplomacy work if we couldn’t lie? Could there ever be a fecal transplant black market? (Complicated, it wouldn’t, and yes, respectively, in case you’re curious.) Hosted and produced by award winning science journalist Rose Eveleth, each episode combines audio drama and journalism to go deep on potential tomorrows, and uncovers what those futures might really be like. The future is going to be weird, so let’s get ready for it together.
Today’s episode is the last of our FOUR PART MINI SEASON SERIES AND SHOW FINALE [airhorn noises]. This week we’re headed to a future where humans share our robotic knowledge with the rest of the animal kingdom—for better, and for worse.
- Dr. Kate Darling, a researcher at the MIT Media Lab and author of The New Breed: What Our History with Animals Reveals about Our Future with Robots.
- Emma Marris, a journalist and author of a book called Wild Souls: Freedom and Flourishing in the Non-Human World.
- Dr. Giovanni Polverino, an animal behavior researcher at The University of Western Australia.
- Dr. Rae Wynn Grant, a wildlife ecologist and host of the podcast Going Wild.
- Rachael Deckard: Richelle Claiborne
- Malik: Henry Alexander Kelly
- Summer: Shara Kirby
- Ashoka: Anjali Kunapaneni
- Eliza: Chelsey B Coombs
- Dorothy Levitt: Tamara Krinsky
- John Dee: Keith Houston
- Dr. Jane de Vaucanson: Jeffrey Nils Gardner
X Marks the Bot theme song written by Ilan Blanck.
- BirdNote: BirdNote Daily, you get a short, 2-minute daily dose of bird — from wacky facts, to hard science, and even poetry. And now is the perfect time to catch up on BirdNote’s longform podcasts: Threatened and Bring Birds Back. Find them all in your podcast listening app or at BirdNote.org.
- Nature: The leading international journal of science. Get 50% off your yearly subscription when you subscribe at go.nature.com/flashforward. And here is the video of the ancient crocodile robot I mentioned.
- Dipsea: An audio app full of short, sexy stories designed to turn you on. Get an extended 30 day free trial when you go to DipseaStories.com/flashforward.
- BetterHelp: Affordable, private online counseling. Anytime, anywhere. Flash Forward listeners: get 10% off your first month at betterhelp.com/flashforward
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices